Early intervention is critical for children with communication problems. A Speech-Language Pathologist can help by assessing your child to determine if his/her speech and language skills are age appropriate, providing play based intervention, parent strategies and resources.


Frequently Asked Questions:

  • What is a Speech-Language Pathologist? A Speech-Language Pathologist, Speech therapist or SLP for short, are professionals with specialized knowledge, skills, and clinical training in assessment and management of communication disorders. We hold Master’s degree in speech-language pathology and are regulated by the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO), which ensures that clinicians meet stringent professional and ethical standards. Speech-language pathologists expertise includes prevention, identification, evaluation, and treatment of communication disorders. Service is provided to patients/clients of all ages, in a variety of health care, education, and private settings.


  • Will our child have speech or language problems if we speak more than one language? No. Children who are exposed to many languages will say their first words at about the same age as those children learning only one language. Try not to mix languages so your child can clearly hear their differences. Speak to your child in YOUR strongest language so he gets a good language model. Here is a blog post that answers common questions regarding bilingualism.
  • Here is an article on bilingualism with some more information.  Bilingualism in Young Children


  • Will my child grow out of it? Some children do resolve their speech and language difficulties on their own, however, many won’t, so do not wait and see. The earlier a problem is addressed, the better the outcome for your child. Here is a link that addresses this issue.
  • Here are some articles discussing how important early intervention is.
  • Late Talker Study
  • When you are concerned-starting early!


  • Is my 18 month old too young to receive support from a Speech-Language Pathologist? No. it is never too early for a child to receive support.


  • Are a Speech Pathologist and Speech therapist the same thing? Yes! The names are used interchangeably.


  • Is it common when the younger children in larger families don’t talk? Early signs of language delay should be taken seriously in all children. Parents should make sure that younger children are encouraged to speak as much as the older children.


  • My child is 3 and is not producing the /r/ sound properly. Should I be concerned? Please refer to our Articulation Norms sheet for sound development by age.


  • What are the various milestones my child should be making?  Please see our Language Development Norms handout for more information.


  • My child isn’t even one yet. Are there things I can be doing to help promote speech and language? Yes, absolutely! You are your child’s first teacher. You play an important role in developing their communication skills. Please see our handout on “Baby Talk” for suggestions.


  • Are services by Speech & Company covered by OHIP? Private Speech-Language Pathology services by Speech & Company are not covered by OHIP. However, most employee benefits packages cover some or all speech and language services.  It is best to speak with a representative at your extended health plan to find out more details.


  • Can we receive therapy in the evenings and weekends? Yes, Speech & Company offers Speech-Language Pathology Services/Speech Therapy in your home, daycare, or private school during the day, evening and weekend.


  • Do I need a referral by my Doctor? A Doctor’s referral is NOT necessary for a Speech-Language Pathologist from Speech & Company to assess or treat your child. Certain extended health benefits, however, do require a Doctor’s note. It is best to speak with your insurance company directly to determine if a referral is required for your individual coverage.


  • How often will my child need therapy? The frequency of sessions is up to you as the caregiver. A Speech-Langauge Pathologist can provide speech therapy as frequent (multiple times a week), or infrequent (once a month) as you would like. The Speech-Language Pathologist will provide a recommendation based on the needs of your child, and together you will discuss and agree upon a frequency that works with your preference and lifestyle.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *